Saintfield High School recently took possession of a new three-court sports hall and associated facilities following a £1.3m construction project delivered by MSM Contracts. This extension & refurbishment project was part of the School Enhancement Programme delivered by the Department of Education and was completed within a 10-month timeframe. Key elements of the construction works involved:
– Construction of a three court indoor sports hall at first floor level with associated sports equipment, line markings, chair & equipment stores, cleaner’s store and plant room. Covered car parking (13 spaces) is provided at surface level under the sports hall
– Construction of a new entrance lobby, waiting room and Bursar’s office
– Internal refurbishment works to construct new male & female team changing rooms, WCs, shower cubicles and accessible showers
– Construction of a first floor link corridor between the existing school and the new sports hall
– Constructing an access footbridge from the Comber Road footpath
– Remedial works to the existing flat roof
– External works involving constructing a 2.5m high Anchor block retaining wall and re-surfacing to the existing car park during re-instatement works
The works were carried out on a fully live school site with over 350nr pupils aged 11-16 years old, staff and visitors. Working space was severely restricted and strict H&S control measures were successfully implemented to ensure the safe running of normal ongoing school activities.
This site was registered with the Considerate Constructors Scheme. Our project team co-ordinated closely with school staff to minimise the impact on the school and generate a positive image around the construction works. This proactive approach was illustrated by a Considerate Constructors score of 39/50.