Fitzroy Presbyterian Church, Belfast
Fitzroy Presbyterian Church
University Street, Belfast
Architect: Architects Knox & Markwell
Structural: Doran Consulting
M&E Engineer: Simpson & Crawford
Quantity Surveyor: Hastings & Baird
MSM Contracts have carried out the £1m redevelopment of Fitzroy Presbyterian Church comprising 2nr extensions and refurbishment works to their existing Grade B+ church buildings which were originally constructed circa 1874. Located on a junction between University Street and Rugby Road in south Belfast, this project was delivered on a heavily restricted city-centre site and is designed to maximise use of the available space.
To complement the existing church buildings and preserve the historic character of Fitzroy Presbyterian Church, the finished project combines quality innovative design by Bangor practice Architects Knox & Markwell, with high levels of craftsmanship throughout from MSM Contracts and our supply chain.
Construction works were carried out over an 11-month timeframe and were segregated and sealed off from ‘live’ church areas to ensure the existing facilities remained safe and available for church services and use by church groups.
A new welcome area with full-height glazing has been constructed along the Rugby Road elevation providing a welcoming entrance to the church. The design of the welcome area extension has transformed the original external stonework walls into an impressive internal feature that maximises the available space.
Key elements of the construction works involved:
• Mini-piling and ground beams
• Natural sandstone walling to form new external walls
• Remedial works to clean the original external stonework walls, involving glass blasting processes, to provide internal architectural features
• Bangor Blue roof slates on pitched timber rafters, leadwork and aluminium rainwater goods
• Complete interior fit-out works including fixed furniture installation to 2nr kitchens, coffee bar and washrooms
• M&E services installation including PA/AV systems, electronic access control, new gas boilers and underfloor heating installation